Post-race press conference - Spain

Fonte:Autosport

Q. Kimi, third today. You were a lot of people's favourite going into this grand prix. Do you think you and the team made all the right choices this afternoon?

Kimi RAIKKONEN: We have to look. I'm a bit disappointed. I expected us to be a bit stronger in the race, especially at the beginning. At the end we were very good, but it was too late. We were not fast enough and quick enough to race and that's why we couldn't fight for a win. But we showed in the end that we have to speed but we just have to look at what we did. Maybe we took the wrong choice in the first pit stop. In the end, like I said we were not fast enough in the beginning and that cost us the race, so I was not so disappointed during the race because I saw that I couldn't follow them at the beginning. But at the end when you catch them up almost 20 seconds then you get a bit of a disappointed feeling afterwards, when you just needed a few laps to be even able to fight for the first place. That's racing and at least I scored some good points and we're going in the right direction.


Q. Kimi, it's the second podium for you in a row. Do you feel a win is around the corner?
KR: Yeah, twice already. Unfortunately you're not always going to get there. If you get the chance, you should take it because it's not every race that you will be able to fight for that position or even try it. Hopefully we can keep doing what we're doing now and at a certain point I'm sure that things will go exactly right and we can. But so far it's been a good step and the car has been strong everywhere. The next race is a bit different – Monaco – it's hard to say how it goes there. The team has done a good job and we have still work to do, things to improve. But so far it's going in a good way and I'm happy with it. OK, we're not 100% happy with it because we are not winning but that's a very normal thing and I'm happy for the team.

Q. As Kimi says, we go to Monaco next Pastor. That's one of your favourite tracks. What chance a back-to-back victory for you?
PM: I think it's going to be a great opportunity for us to be strong again. For sure I will be doing my best on the driving. The team is looking after the car so we need to continue like that. Keep pushing with the car, to develop it as soon as possible and consistency will be the important thing in this championship.

PRESS CONFERENCE



Q. Kimi, tell us about the start, because that pretty much established your race.
KR: Yeah, I had a pretty good start, nothing to complain about. I thought I would get the chance to overtake outside both of the first two but I didn't have enough speed in a straight line – I actually hit the limiter I think in fifth gear which kind of stopped my acceleration a bit but after that I didn't have the speed to hang on and hound them. I was pulling away from the guys behind me but I couldn't stay. The first stint was pretty OK but the second, I chose the soft tyre and I didn't have the speed to keep up with them. I'm a bit disappointed but I just tried to fight and then we changed the tyres and it seemed to turn out to be pretty good but we were just too far away. We need, like, ten more laps and then I think we could have been fighting for the win.

Q. Absolute charge at the end, your tyres were OK?
KR: Yes, it was OK. I had two new sets of Prime but unfortunately I didn't have more sets of Prime anyhow to put in the first pitstop. The car was very good but just a bit too late for me. We fall off too much in the last stint to be able to fight for the win. But one more lap we could probably could have got Fernando – but it's easy to say after.

Q. And what did you tell the Finnish viewers just now?
KR: It's Mothers' Day in Finland.

Q. So Happy Mothers' Day?
KR: Yeah. I had nothing else to say to Finnish viewers.

QUESTIONS FROM THE FLOOR

Q. (Leonid Novozhilov – F1 Life) Kimi, second place in Bahrain, third place in Spain; is this the maximum for you or can you win?
KR: The fact is the reason why I'm disappointed is because in the end if we have done everything right, we could have put ourselves into first place. The car has been fast enough but we've been doing small things not correctly and I've done some mistakes on my side but if everything was 100 percent OK we could have won. There's no issue with the speed of the car, but it's so close between all the teams and drivers that if you have a small problem or a small issue during the weekend then it's going to cost you a lot. If you're three tenths behind then you're suddenly not in the last qualifying. As you give yourself the chance to be fighting at the front, I think our car can do it but everything has to fall in the right place to be able to win.

Q. (Heikki Kulta – Turun Sanomat) Fernando and Kimi, did you believe that Pastor could be your main rival today, and if not, how big a surprise is it?
FA: Yeah, I think so. We saw in general that during the weekend that Williams was good. Lewis was maybe the favourite for this race after the pace we saw from Ferrari on Friday and the pole position by half a second yesterday. With Lewis's penalty, Pastor was the strongest at the front so no surprises.

KR: Williams have been quite fast for two races in certain points and I think, as we've said before, it's very difficult to say who is really the quickest overall because at one race one team is there and then suddenly they are tenth in the next race, so it's bit of an odd situation where we are this year, but it gives a lot of chances for all the teams who have the speed and when the tyres are working for them they are much better than the others. The tyres seem to be the key thing. If you get them working well you seem to be fast. Sometimes you just drop out of the window a little bit and you have a hard time.

Kimi Brasil 2015. Tecnologia do Blogger.